Key Steps in the eBooks Conversion Process
Authors and publishers are recommended to clearly understand eBooks conversion process followed by us. A deeper understanding about the typical features of an eBook will also help immensely.
TECHNICAL & COMMERCIAL TERMS
Source Files Accepted: Printed Books, Print-PDFs (Scanned – Image Based or Text Based), Word, OpenOffice, HTML/XML. If you have a file in Adobe InDesign or some other format, please convert it to Print-PDF for eBooks conversion.
- Deliverables: EPUB 3.0 and KINDLE format latest version.
- Turnaround Time: 10 – 15 days. More number of files can be processed in a batch.
- Quality Assurance: We validate the deliverables against latest standards (EPUB 3 and KF8).
- Typical eBooks Features: Please ensure that you are familiar with typical features of an eBook.
- Payment: PayPal of Wire Transfer. After you have uploaded the source files, we will send you an ESTIMATE. Production will commence only after you have paid for the services.
- After Production Support Service: We warranty any errors pertaining to the production process. We closely work with authors and publishers to amend and correct any errors. Minor amendments can be undertaken by us free-of-cost. We also support you in uploading your inventory and title metadata if you have updated your distributors’ details on our portal. This again is a free service.
SENDING YOUR SOURCE FILES
It shall be our pleasure to work on your eBook projects.
You can start with the following three steps:
- LOGIN at [http://app.dmiepub.com/?
module=signin] using your user-name & password;
- UPLOAD “INTERIOR CONTENT FILES” AND “COVER GRAPHICS” (choose files from your computer and press “Upload Source Files” button.);
- NOTIFY TO Antrik ExPress PRODUCTION TEAM ABOUT YOUR UPLOAD (Select the files and press “Notify” button).
The subsequent process is handled at our end and we shall verify that your files have been received and if there is anything more required.
- Source Files: Author/Publisher uploads the source print-pdf/ word file to our website or a printed book sent by mail/ courier to an international destination.
- Production: We produce the desired digital format(s).
- Output eBook Formats: We deliver the first release of eBooks to for review.
- Preview: Author/Publisher reviews eBooks using Adobe Digital Editions and Kindle Previewer and do proofing and suggests corrections.
- Corrections: After author/publisher completes proofing and submits a corrections request, we remove errors and incorporate amendments. Maximum three rounds of corrections applicable. When there are changes in the content, additional price shall be charged.
- Final eBooks Release: We deliver the final release of the title(s).
- Distribution Channel Upload Support: Author/ Publisher uploads to the KDP and other channels with whom you have established publisher relations. DMI offers free support when required.
Authors/ Self-publishers/ Publishers need to develop publisher relationship with key distribution channels.
For South Asian region, especially India, the fastest growing distribution channel is Antrik ExPress [http://www.dmiepub.com/] where EPUB and PDF/A formats are retailed through Antrik eBookstore [http://www.antrik.com/].
‘MOBI (.mobi) format’ is the format for digital books which is followed by Kindle/ Amazon(.)com.
Kindle format can be rendered on a number of supported devices. The ‘.mobi’ or Kindle format is distributed by Kindle Direct Publishing [http://kdp.amazon.com/].
GLOSSARY OF TERMS
- eBooks, Ebooks or ebooks are the digital editions of print books and are read on eReading Systems.
- eReading Systems
- eReading Systems are a combination of a hardware device (also called an eBook or an eBook Reader) and a software.
- eReading Devices
- The popular eReading Devices include – iPhone, Kindle, Windows PC, Mac, Blackberry, iPad, Android, Sony PRS, iRex Technologies iLiad, and many other e-Ink based reading devices.
- eBooks Formats
- The popular formats include .ePUB, .PDF, and .Mobi.EPUB has emerged as a common standard followed by the industry and is maintained by the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF).Adobe Digital Editions is the software [http://www.adobe.com/ap/products/digitaleditions] used to read ePUB format eBooks on on several supported devices [http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/supported-devices].To preview Kindle edition eBooks:1. Please download the latest version of the Kindle Previewer from the following link:
[ http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000765261]This is the best way to check how your Kindle edition would render on Kindle Reader, iPad, iPhone and other Kindle compliant devices.2. You may also like to Kindle Reader for your device from the following link:
By converting to the above formats, an author/ self-publisher/ publisher may attain the maximum reach to the eBooks marketplace.
- Standards Organization
- International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF) maintains ePUB standard.